Wednesday, March 26, 2008

I will pause to rest and heal

I just read this piece and it has a lot of meaning for me. It touched me and is something I would like to share. My favourite line is: "So I will pause to rest and heal". These few words are beautiful in their simplicity and truth. I have no choice now but to take time off from my life, and to reframe this interruption as a gentle and nurturing pause is lovely.

I HAVE CANCER…

I have cancer but cancer does not have me.
Cancer is not who I am.
It’s only a bend in the road that is my life’s journey…
An unexpected detour on my path.
It is a lesson in the cosmic schoolroom that is human existence.
So I will pause to rest and heal
And study the lesson
Before I move on to my life beyond cancer.
I will not give in to fear,
And I will not be discouraged by setbacks.
Setbacks are only opportunities to review the lesson.
I will not be ashamed of my scars.
My scars are brushstrokes in the masterpiece that is my life.
I will be thankful for the many blessings that cancer has brought into my life:
People I never would have known,
Love that I had never been still or quiet enough to witness,
Humility I needed,
Strength I thought I had lost,
Courage I never knew I had.
I will remember that I can still have fun
And that it’s okay – even healthy to be silly.
I will remember that to find the joy in rainbows
I must endure the rain.
And I will remember always that
While I may have cancer
Cancer does not have me.

You can also watch accompanying pictures at "www.thesurvivormovie.com", however before cancer, I would have thought the pictures to be a little too cheesy.

No comments: