Monday, January 14, 2008

Back to Work: The Cancer Vacation is Over

Yes, it's been a while since my last post. As they say, no news is good news. The holidays came and went, and involved staying at my husband's family cottage along with about 25 other people, including seven children under the age of eight. (Like clockwork, a new critter has been born into the family each year for the past seven years). Then there were two dogs, one of which perpetually had drool icicles hanging down his jaws. Whenever the dog would shake his head vigorously, in the way that dogs do, the stretchy saliva would haphazardly land on a stairwell or on the water cooler. Add to the mix some mice and throw in the stomach flu, and you have yourself a party.

I returned to work on Thursday, January 3rd, after barely recovering from the stomach flu that I had managed to dodge until New Years day. Between chemo and the stomach virus, I now consider myself an expert in puke. There are many different types and styles of puking, which vary based on the individual but also the cause. The stomach flu, for instance, can involve some truly impressive projectile vomiting, whereas chemo vomiting is more controlled. If you aim for the toilet, it all gets in.

But enough about that. Work is going well. It was inevitably awkward to return after a six month hiatus, and on my first day back I stayed close to my office, a little anxious to stray too far away from my home base. By the second day things already began to feel normal again. I received the usual array of odd comments. During a brief encounter in the washroom, a partner on my floor said: "I haven't seen you around in a while, guess you've been hiding in your office!" Then there were those who gave me the old bait and switch, the bait being a sympathetic call asking how I am, and the switch being the part where they ask me to work on a new deal. The best was the frantic call I received on Friday at 4:30 p.m. about a new deal that needed all documentation prepared for Monday morning.

The bottom line is that most people are self-interested. When you return to work after having something like cancer, expect very little sympathy. Your doctor may want you to take it easy for the first few weeks just to ease back into things, but in practice if you say no to too many things, you are bound to stir up some discontent.

That being said, several people took me out for lunch to welcome me back to the firm, and others dropped by just to see how I was doing. Overall it is good to be back, because it means that things are getting back to normal.

No comments: